ÁvilaMedina del CampoMalagónValladolidToledoPastranaSalamancaAlba de TormesSegoviaBeas de SeguraSevillaCaravaca de la CruzVillanueva de la JaraPalenciaSoriaGranadaBurgos

Villanueva de la Jara

1580
Villanueva de la Jara stands between rivers: to the west, the Júcar, which is a natural border between Castilla la Mancha and the limits of Castile that run towards the East, where the other river flows: the Valdemembra, a fruitful and bountiful tributary of the former, the very soul of the town's prosperity. The town was awarded Privilege, Jurisdiction and the Royal Coat of Arms by the Catholic Monarchs so that it could be displayed at the highest point of the Keep, which is today the bell tower and capital of the Basilica that looks towards the wide plains of Castile.

The streets and plazas of La Jara stand as witnesses to different periods in history. And the surrounding countryside: plains, riverbanks, mountains with winding roads that unveil a new light, photograph or lake on every bend, a wetland populated by colourful birds as they fly from and on their way to a variety of places. And, on the horizon, the ever-present figure of its imposing Basilica, a reference point for travellers who cross these lands and for those who specialise in the architectural expression of art.

 

Teresian Places

Teresa, the wandering Carmelite saint, arrived one cold day on 21 February 1582 to teach her rules to a group of religious women and build her convent around the church of Santa Ana. Many things happened to the woman from Ávila during her stay in the town, including breaking her arm near the well that today dominates the vegetable garden.

Behind her, she left her colleague, today known as the Venerable Ana de San Agustín, whose body lies next to the church near the choir stalls.

And the Saint, with her concerns and entrepreneurialism, not only left her mark on her daughters' work, but also brought with her the brothers of El Socorro so that they could build the Convent of El Carmen in devotion to the local patron saint (a 14th-century sculpture brought from Rome). The huge church remains today.
  • Tourist Information Centre
  • Plaza Mayor
    642 945 843

    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • www.villanuevadelajara.es
{gallery}30{/gallery}

TWEETS

@HuellasTeresa

RT @Morenomedina01: Unidos para potenciar Camino de S.Juan de la Cruz desde Beas de Segura hasta #Caravaca @HuellasTeresa @itremurcia http…
RT @turismodelajara: El 8 de julio de 1476 Isabel La Católica daba el Privilegio de Villazgo a #VillanuevadelaJara #Cuenca https://t.co/hte

NEWS

Convocados los Encuentros Provinciales de Teresas

Wednesday, 01 October 2014
Las localidades que forman parte de la ruta  "Huellas de Teresa de Jesús" han convocado para el próximo dia 18 de Octubre los encuentros provinciales de Teresas coincidiendo con el inicio del Centenario del nacimiento de Santa Teresa.  Se trata de una iniciativa que ya se llevó a cabo en…

Firma de Convenio co la Empresa Nautalia para la promoción y comercialización de la Ruta Huellas de Teresa

Thursday, 24 July 2014
“Huellas de Teresa de Jesús” firma su convenio de comercialización con Nautalia Viajes Ávila, 24, julio, 2014. En la mañana de hoy se ha procedido a la firma, en Ávila, del convenio con Nautalia Viajes para la comercialización turística de la Ruta Huellas de Teresa de Jesús. La firma se…